Thursday, February 10, 2011

Potty Training Your Sun Conure

There are many advantages of bird ownership over other pets, but one downfall for me was that the droppings can get a little overwhelming. For obvious reasons, potty training was one of my top priorities for my birds.  Based on both what I have read and my own experience, Sun Conures respond very well to potty training. If your bird is tame enough to be handled, he can begin potty training. The process that I use is really simple.

First, come up with a signal word or phrase that you will consistently use when you want your bird to go. For Daisy, I say “Drop a dos.” (as in “number two” in Spanish) and for Ringo, I say “Make a stink.” I gave each bird their own in case one was  on my shoulder when I wanted the other to go.
While handling your bird, learn the cues that he gives you to signify that he is about to go potty. This may be a slight “settling” or squatting. Move your bird to a safe place to go and wait…when/if he goes say your signal phrase a couple of times and praise him and/or give him a treat. A safe place can be wherever you want him to go; on a perch, on his cage, over a trash can or even the toilet (don't let your bird fall in!). It wont take long for him to realize what you want him to do and you may see results in a couple of days. It also helps to observe how often your bird goes and predict when to take him to the “potty place”. First thing in the morning is an example of a time when you know he is gonna go; take advantage and make a game of it. When first introducing this it is helpful to say the cue phrase when you notice him going potty in his cage or playing by himself. This will help make the association of the word to the action, but eventually you want to make sure he understands that it is only appropriate in certain areas.

Ringo will climb off my hand, onto his perch, “Make a stink” and then lift his foot to be picked up again. He will still just go sometimes, but that is my fault for not being aware that so much time has passed since I took him last. Daisy has limited flight ability and will usually fly to a safe place if I forget to take her, but she will still (rarely) go on my shoulder. (I think it’s only when she’s mad at me or feels I’m not giving her the attention she deserves.)
I would eventually like to get them to go in a special “box”, even when they are in their cage, but for now I am very happy with just being able to wear the same shirt for a whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment