Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chow Time!

One of the first things that I want to address is diet. Daisy was primarily a seed eater when we got her, although she would eat pellets, seed was a large part of her diet. I have slowly gotten her away from seed and she now eats a pellet diet with seeds only offered as treats. I also offer fresh fruits & vegetables everyday, but so far she only likes grapes. Ringo on the other hand was only 5 months old when we got him, and already eating a pellet diet. He will eat just about whatever I put in his bowl, given the right motivation. I recently got him to try his carrots by picking one out of the bowl and pretending to enjoy eating it myself. He came over immediately and took one from the bowl and started chowing down! This also worked for broccoli pieces. There are also fresh cooked foods that you can make. Pre-packaged kits like Crazy Corn are another option. Be sure to remove fresh foods after about an hour due to bacteria formation, and always research what foods are good for your parrot & what is potentially toxic.

I like to make Birdie Bread for my Suns. It's easy and they really enjoy it.

  •  1 Box Jiffy Mix
  •  2 Eggs (+ shells)
  •  1/3 cup Milk
  •  1/3 cup Juice (I usually use apple)
  •  1/3 cup of ?? (fruits, veggies, pellets, seeds...)
















Ringo couldn't wait for the bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment